10 Did You Know’s about POST
Obviously, this year’s heart of the Rotterdam Architecture Month is not just any building. POST used to be quite a special building for the ordinary Rotterdammer’s daily matters such as collecting stamps or sending parcels. Now there will be given a new purpose to this building. Here are ten facts you didn’t know you wanted to know about the former post office.
Did you know
- …it took eight years before the building was standing? Because of the lack of materials during the First World War it took a long time
- …the post office was placed ten meters backward in relative to the Coolsingel? This was done to give the city hall more exposure. Because the post office was given a forecourt, the opposite effect was achieved
- …that the hall is 22,5 meters high!
- …the main post office was given the status of a national monument in 2000?
- …the building has been empty for about 12 years and closed to the public? (except during #RAM19, take your chance!)
- …both the main post office and city hall survived the bombings unscathed? A Rotterdam miracle!
- …multiple plance have been submitted for the transformation? Ultimately, Eran Chen of ODA architecture, along with Braaksma & Roos from the Hague, did the job
- …ODA architecture and Braaksma & Roos have planned a residential tower of 150 meters high behind the existing building?
- …the plan includes room for restaurants, cafes and shops on the ground floor as well as a luxury hotel with apartments on the floors?
- …you can view the plans for POST in the building itself? The models and drawings await your visit.
News items 2023